There is no denying the success of the wing-T offense. It has perforated into all levels and all offensive styles today as described in a previous article (A Legend of the Fall). However, choosing to run this system in today’s age of flashy spread schemes does come with a few speed bumps that you must overcome. This is mainly due to stake holders like parents, boosters and players simply not understanding the offense, as all they see on tv is what they want to do. That’s not just football, that is life in America. The masses tend to emulate what they see on tv and other media outlets. But for those of us who know and understand the offense, we know that it is simply the most cost effective and adaptable system available. Hence, the wide spread use of its concepts from youth leagues to the NFL. This article will give you 10 easy ways to help sell the wing-T offense to your players, parents and other stakeholders in your program.
- The ball is spread to multiple playersWhen run correctly, this is a true spread the ball around offense. At minimum it is a 3 back offense, 4 if you incorporate the QB in the run game! Due to the deception and ball hiding nature of the offense you don’t need a dominant player at WR, QB or RB, (of course it always helps when you got one lol…) but, you can spread the ball around while faking it to the other players, forcing the defense to spread itself thin to account for multiple ball carriers and to play assignment football or they risk following the wrong player! As far as who is getting the rock, it is hard to beat the true balance of the wing-T offense. Use this when selling to your athletes.
- History of successHistory is on the side of the T based offenses. Most other offense produce “flash in the pan” success. They will be good for a year, two years, and then back to obscurity. Especially with spread teams! If they can’t recruit a DUDE at QB every year… its hard for them to stay consistent. While the teams that run a T based offense are consistently good, regardless of talent levels. I don’t need to convince you of this, simply think of the successful teams in your state, or district. Good chance the ones with sustained success are ones basing out of T concepts. On top of that, its very easy to call plays in the system. I detail that HERE. Use these things when selling the wing-T to your coaching staff, boosters and AD.
- If you can play, they will come“You won’t get recruited by a college in a wing-T offense” what a completely ASININE statement! Yet I have heard it multiple times! This tends to be a thing repeated by players as why they would transfer…. Lets be real about this… this is from ignorant adults, not kids. The ranks of college and the NFL are FULL of athletes that played in the wing-T or a derivative. Hell, you still see the Wing-T in the NCAA and NFL today! One simply needs to show this to the kids and parents with real statistics to squelch this silly rumor. 9 times out 10 this is told to players and parents by “street gurus” that have an investment in a rival school. Like most things in life, look at the motives behind what somebody says and the light will shine on their true intentions. Fact: it does not matter where you play ball at… if you are good enough, the recruiters will come.
- VersatilitySomething that I believe is unique to the wing-T offense is its versatility! There are more ways to incorporate wing-T concepts than you could ever do in a season. Double options, triple options, shot gun, pistol, gun option. People are even running the wing-T out of 4 wide personnel groupings. It is truly adaptable to any skill set your players may or may not have! This is reflective of the wing-T’s pathogen like infection of every offensive system you see today! This is also why you will see sustained success with wing-T teams. Target your coaching staff and AD with this one.
- Change NamesSimple word change propaganda goes a LONG way. Case and point: in the 1980’s the Afghanistan militants were fighting against communist Russia and the USA called them “Freedom Fighters” and even supplied weapons and training. Fast forward to the 2000’s…. and well, we wont get into all that, but you get the idea. What I’m saying is… change the terminology to pander to the minds of your athletes! Call your base wing-T formation “Spread rt” and “Spread lt”! instead of calling the Fullback a Fullback, call him a B back… or even better, call him a Tailback! Instead of calling the wings, wingbacks… call them Slots! You know they are wings… but that simple title change goes a long way.
- It’s a Team first offenseThis is the ULTIMATE team offense. Your Backfield and WRs will be selfless and block or fake on play they don’t get the ball. Which will help them, when they do get the ball. Your skill guys know that if they block hard, or fake with conviction, the same will happen for them when they get the ball. This is self-promoting! This happens on its own with just some guidance from the coaching staff. Everybody knows they will get the ball, everybody is involved in the game. There is no need for that one WR that gets the ball every other play. It is a true team system, that helps lead to a IDENTITY.
- It makes the defense tougher
- There is simply no arguing here. This type of offense is down hill and physical with high frequency, further building the team IDENITY. This forces the defense to develop an edge and a hardness that they simply cannot get by lining up in space every snap and playing tackle 7on7. This tends to ruffle feathers when I say this to folks… but facts are facts. Furthermore, the nature of the offense means you can run the clock and have your “better” athletes play defense! Your DC will be your new best friend.
- It’s DifferentBeing a wing-T offense you will be different. You will be something that, with a good chance nobody else you play is! This will cause your opponents to have issues defending you. They will be used to playing against 4 wide and shotgun 20 personnel all season long, and in practice against themselves all preseason and spring. They will only have week to get ready for your formations and deceptive ground and pound offense. Your players will also discovery that they are different, than anyone they play against. This further leads to building an IDENTITY!
- Angles and NumbersThe use of angles may be the single biggest advantage of this offense! Your blockers, OL or Skills, will never have to drive a defender backwards, they will always have an angle to their blocks. This allows you to use smaller or less athletic linemen and still be successful. The entire system is based on taking what the defense is not defending and getting there with as much speed and simplicity as possible. The formations of the offense allow for extra run gaps to be created while still posing a vertical passing threat. This creates a natural conundrum for the defense. They can load the box and expose themselves to the Play Action game, they can defend the edges and give up the quick hitting inside game.
- IdentityDifferent, hard nosed, team first. This all leads to strong sense of identity for your players. You will watch your players start to take pride in the fact that they run this offense. As somebody who has run multiple offensive schemes, I have not seen this happen with other offenses. This sense of identity is self-feeding into the team first, hard nose nature of the system. But don’t take my word for it! Watch this video and then try and tell me these kids (and Coaches!) being interviewed don’t have a strong sense of IDENTITY:
Bonus: It’s Fun! Fun to call plays, fun to watch on film. Fun to coach. And ive NEVER had an offensive lineman that did not LOVE the offense. OL enjoys the offense…. Nuff Said.
Be sure to sign up for my email list to get updated any time a new article posts!
Follow me on twitter here @TheCoachVogt
Check out the STORE for books and Merchandise!!!